DOUBLE
REFRACTION
Looking twice at the history of science

Monday, September 14, 2015

Is it post-modern to be present-centred? Thoughts prompted by Nick Tosh

Lorraine Daston says that historians who write with the present in mind are misguided and old-fashioned. By contrast, Nick Tosh says they are post-modern. He compares them to contemporary novelists who draw attention to themselves, and to the process of writing novels, in the course of their novels. Against Daston, I said that it is not what you know about present-day science that matters, but how you use that knowledge. Against Tosh, I say that present-centredness is not post-modern because it does not leap from the fictional world to the real world but only from the present and the past. And very often it does not even do that. Expand post.

4 comments:

  1. refraction again? NO, because i cannot bear to bear the pain i went through all those years when studying physics, i think maths was a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. toy watch, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of toy watch shop, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. cool company names

    ReplyDelete
  4. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! python course london

    ReplyDelete